The Art of Strategy: Sources
What is strategy? Why do you need it? How do you do it? And, how can you be more certain to succeed? The Art of Strategy provides timeless answers to these eternal questions. It is a modern reading of Sun Tzu’s Art of War using the lenses of strategists John Boyd and Simon Wardley (swardley). (All parts; other reading and viewing formats)
Bungay, Stephen P. The Art of Action: How Leaders Close the Gaps BetweenPlans, Actions and Results, 2011.
Department of Defense. Marine Corps Doctrinal Publication 1, Warfighting, 1997.
Echevarria II, Antulio J. Military Strategy. A Very Short Introduction, 2017.
Freedman, Lawrence. Strategy. A History, 2013.
Freeman, R. Edward. Strategic Management: A Stakeholder Approach, 1984.
Kissinger, Henry A. On China, 2011.
Mårtensson, Henrik. Tempo! 2010.
— McDermott, Chris (Chris McDermott). Mapping Maturity: Create Context Specific Maturity Models with Wardley Maps Informed by Cynefin, 2018.
— Osinga, Frans P. B. Science, Strategy and War. The Strategic Theory of John Boyd, 2005.
Pujadas, R. (Roser), Thompson, M., Venters, W. (Will Venters), Wardley, S (swardley). Building situational awareness in the age of service ecosystems, 27th European Conference on Information Systems, Stockholm & Uppsala, 2019.
Reinertsen, Donald G. The Principles of Product Development Flow: Second Generation Lean Product Development, 2009.
Schön, Erik (Erik Schön). Doing Strategy the Interactive & Flexible Way — Strategy as Football, 2018.
Schön, Erik (Erik Schön). Seeing Around Corners: How To Spot Technology Trends and Make Them Happen, 2019.
Schön, Erik (Erik Schön): Strategy in Action: How To Be (More) Certain To Succeed, 2020.
Schön, Erik (Erik Schön). The Art of Living — How to Make Life More Meaningful, 2020.
Stalk, George, Jr., Stewart, Sam. Avoiding Disruption Requires Rapid Decision Making, 2019.
Sun Tzu. The Art of Strategy. Translated by R. L. Wing, 1988.
Sun Tzu. The Art of War. Translated by R. D. Sawyer, 1994.
Sun Tzu. The Art of War. Translated by G. Gagliardi, 2007.
Sun Tzu. The Art of War. Translated by A. W. Zieger, 2010.
Sun Tzu. The Art of War. Translated by J. Trapp, 2011.
Sun Tzu. 孫子 現代語訳. Translated into Japanese by 杉之尾 宜生, 2019.
— Yuen, Derek M. C. Deciphering Sun Tzu, 2014.
The Art of Strategy: All Parts
- Assessments: How to assess, prepare and shape
- Challenges: How to use and reduce inertia, entropy and friction
- Success: How to succeed together with stakeholders
- Setup: How to create resilience
- Momentum: How to use creativity focus and timing
- Shaping: How to shape and avoid being shaped
- Engagement: How to engage using surprise
- Adaptations: How to adapt to shifting situations
- Movements: How to move to optimize momentum
- Landscape: How to approach difficult areas
- Situations: How to handle difficult situations
- Disruption: How to disrupt and avoid being disrupted
- Intelligence: How to use intelligence to create foreknowledge